Thursday 29 October 2009

Irvine's Christmas Lights Fiasco

I was absolutely appalled to learn this week that Irvine will have no festive lights this year! There will only be one solitary Christmas tree erected outside the Townshouse. This is the latest blunder by North Ayrshire Council that will surely lead to the demise of Irvine's shopping centre. Stores in the other side of town at Riverway Retail Park are already struggling due to the renewal of the Bailey Bridge and closure of part of the A71 and this latest fiasco is just unacceptable. Apparently they have the cash aside for the lights, however, there is no-one available to plan the display. This comes in the year that we have all felt the pinch of the recession, so surely you would think the council would be trying to attract people to our town centre instead of what's currently happening: they are bypassing us and going elsewhere!

What about the town's children? Christmas is a magical time for them, full of hope and excitement. I remember being taken into town as a child at Christmas and it was the display of lights that made the experience memorable. I am shocked and saddened that Irvine will basically be blacked out this festive season.

I was on my way home from a friend's house when last year's lights were switched on. I literally ran through the shopping mall to get to the High Street on time. I got there just in time to see the town centre lit up. It was great to see the town's kids all around enjoying the activities, whether it be on the fairground rides erected at The Cross or joining in the fun with West FM's DJ Colin McCardie and Your Radio DJ Andy Rutherford. So come on North Ayrshire Council...we want lights for Christmas!

Do we really want Irvine's town centre to look like the picture above at Christmas? Dark, dreary and abandoned?

What are your views on this subject, let me know by dropping me an email or leave me a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment